As I'm sure many of you know we were hit with a large 7+ earthquake yesterday at 5pm. It was probably one of the most scary things I have every lived through. I have never seen buildings and vehicle move that much. Kyrk and I were actually outside talking with some people when it hit. I immediately ran home while it was still shacking to make sure that our youngest, Robert, was okay. He was sleeping in bed when I went outside. When I arrived home he was peacefully laying in his bed as if nothing happened.
I quickly grabbed him and we all spent the next 2 hours outside.
The aftershocks were quite strong and the kids were very shock up. The last aftershock that we felt was early this morning, so hopefully they are over.
Here at the mission, part of our conference center collapsed. Thankfully there was not much other large damage to buildings. Our hospital quickly became extremely busy.
We are praising the Lord that there was a visiting medical team from the US that was about 15 minutes down the road when the quake happened. They were here working with Mountain Top Ministries. They immediately decided to come up here. They were a huge blessing. We only had 1 doctor at the hospital at the time until Doctor Bernard (our head doctor) and another doctor that lives close by, were able to come up. There is no way that we would have been able to treat the many people that came without the visiting medical people.
Finally around 1:15 am they had the last person stabilized and people were able to get some rest. If that was possible amidst the aftershocks.
This morning the hospital is seeing a huge number of people coming. Sadly they waited until this morning to come and the doctors are saying that they are not able to stitch the wounds this morning since they are afraid that it would possibly lead to an internal infection.
Thankfully we have a team of doctors and other from Samaratain's Purse who are hoping to arrive this afternoon to help out. This will be a huge help. Right now we are just treating the injured that are coming to us. With other hospitals collapsed, many are coming here.
The reports this morning are that the mountain side right across from us has huge amounts of damage. Many have lot houses and everything. We are trying to send plastic and clothes over to them.
We have confirmed that one of our drivers along with his brother have been killed. They were inside a house during the earthquake and the house collapsed on them. Pray for Rogene's family.
The damage is huge around us and it is hard to know where to start. Port-au-Prince is a disaster. I'm sure as the day goes on we will have more reports.
Thank you so much for your prayers. We need wisdom to know where to start.
5 comments:
Deborah, my heart is breaking for you and for all of the hurt happening. Im praying that our God of grace and mercy will send peace and lots of help. Please keep us updated. Praying..... love, Shan
You said that your driver and his brother were killed. Was your driver Rogene and what was his brothers name?
Yes our driver that was killed was Rogene. I am not sure what his brother's name was since he didn't work for us.
Deb! I'm so glad I found your blog! I've been praying that you and your family were okay. You will all continue to be in our prayers.
I am glad the visiting medical team was able to help. Some of those people are from our Parish and we have been praying for them as well as for all the people in Haiti. My daughter (a nurse practicioner) was at MTM last year with the team. She wants to go back.
God bless you all.
Post a Comment