Sunday, January 29, 2012

Back Home

On Thursday afternoon we arrived back in Haiti after a wonderful 2 months of vacation and deputation.  It was so wonderful to see how God worked and really encouraged us through the churches we visited and the many people that we spent time with. 
Coming back to Haiti after 2 months is always an adjustment.  This time there were several things that made that adjustment even more challenging.  It quickly became very clear to us that Satan was attacking us while we were tired and vulnerable. 
It is never fun to open a kitchen cupboard and discover that a rat has chewed a hole through the top of the cupboard and made a huge mess.  Then to discover that while we were gone someone broke into our back room and stole several of Kyrk's tools.
Through all of this it is easy to get angry and upset about these things, but we realized that that is exactly what Satan wanted us to do.  It made me think about what is most important in my life.  Do the things that I have really belong to Jesus?

This morning in church the pastor was speaking from Daniel 1 and challenged us to live true Christian lives.  He then referenced the hymn "I'd Rather Have Jesus"  I was reading it in the Creole song book and loved the way that it was translated.  Through these words God really challenged me to put Him first and not things. 
Here is the translation from the Creole Hymn book:
I'd rather have Jesus then lots of money
I'd rather have Him then being rich all the time.
I'm rather have Jesus then a beautiful house
I'd rather be led by Him all the time.

It is my prayer that this is true.  That Jesus is the most important thing, more then stolen tools, ruined food or anything else in this world.

No comments: