Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Flexibility

There are definitely some days when God really teaches us a truth and we can't help but get the message.  Yesterday was one of those days for me.  I started my day thinking that it would be a typical day, doing laundry, cleaning the house, and other jobs that come with raising 5 children.
Around 11 am all of that changed and God started showing me that I was going to learn a little more flexibility.
One of the team members that is here helping to build houses had tripped on a piece of a cement block and they thought she may have broken her ankle.  Once she arrived at the mission the fun began of visiting the doctor, getting x-rays, getting the proper hospital paperwork, etc.  Thankfully that all went rather smoothly.
We discovered that she had fractured her ankle and would have to go down to Pettionville to have a cast put on.  So off Rebekah and I went with Evelyn and a driver.  Once we arrived we discovered there were 2 flights of stairs that she would have to get up.  This was a huge task, but we made it and thankfully the doctor was willing to help us quite quickly, which was a huge blessing.
By late afternoon we were back home and Evelyn was feeling much better.
Needless to say, I didn't get accomplished what I had thought I would do yesterday, but I'm so grateful that God chose to use me in this way and teach me that His interruptions may not be my plan, but He wants to accomplish great things through His plan.  It was a wonderful time of getting to know Evelyn and she really encouraged me and challenged me in many ways.

It is often said that to survive on the mission field you need three things, flexibility, flexibility and flexibility. I think I still need to work on this one, but I'm thankful that God continues to teach me.

No comments: