Right now in the Atrel area it is a common site to see men and young boys working in their fields each morning and evening. They are diligently working the hard rocky soil, preparing it to be planted soon. This is all done by hand and it is very difficult work. I am always amazed at the diligence of these men and their willingness to work so hard for the small crop that they will hopefully receive.
It is a challenge to me to think: "Am I willing to work diligently, under difficult circumstances, not knowing what harvest I will reap, as I work for the Lord?
 |
| Group of men working a field together |
This morning we had the privilege of attending a Harvest Celebration at the nearby church of Grand Kay. This community invited us to attend and it was very special to be a part of their celebration. During the service they were thanking God for the harvest and all the blessings that they had received. Just as the service was about to end it started to rain really hard. The closing hymn was "There shall be showers of blessings" What an appropriate hymn to sing, as it is pouring rain. It rained super hard for about an hour.
As we drove home, in the rain, we were super excited to find that it had rained hard in Atrel also and we received almost 2 1/2" of rain. This is a huge blessing!!
Another blessing was the gift of a goat. We are always humbled when churches give us gifts. We know that many of these people have very little and when they choose to share with us it is very humbling.
 |
| Church at Grand Kay |
 |
| Our new goat, which the boys have named "Dark Thunder" |
Back in February, with the help of several people, I was able to get a garden built. This past week Kyrk set up the irrigation lines and I was able to plant the lettuce, carrots, and a few other vegetables into it. I will be so thankful to have some fresh vegetables soon.
 |
| Installing the irrigation lines |
 |
| Plants ready to go in the garden |
Fun pictures of the kids:
 |
| Jonathan was trying to make a parachute |
 |
| Matching sisters |
 |
| Beautiful rainbow that was in the sky Friday evening. |
3 comments:
I am enjoying seeing the progress of your house and preparations for your garden. The photos are great. The rainbow is beautiful.
Where is Atrel? Is it an elevation like Fermathe? How far away from Fermathe are you?
Beverly: Atrel is in the northwest. It is about 160 miles from Fermathe but that drive takes about 7 hours because of the terrible roads. We are only about 800 feet elevation, so it is definitely not high elevation like Fermathe.
Thanks for your answer. Yes, you are far away. I know the roads. When I lived in Cayes, I tried to fly to Port whenever I went, which wasn't too often. I remember being on the road nearly 24 hours to go the 120 miles by bus...not my favorite memory!
Have you met David Uttley during his trips to Haiti? He came to Haiti after the earthquake to do photography for SP. He was one of the MKs I taught while I was in Haiti.
Post a Comment