Friday, October 21, 2011

Fun in the Kitchen

This past week I have had the privilege of working with several cooks in our conference center kitchen.  There were about 200 teachers, school directors and administrators who came for a training conference and the 5 people in the kitchen were responsible for preparing 3 meals a day for them.  On Monday when I went to see how things were going in the kitchen, the head cook asked if I would be willing to help serve the food during lunch.  I willingly agreed knowing it would be a great opportunity to get to know the ladies and work alongside of them.
Brianne, my niece, along with Chelsea, a new missionary here, also helped out and we had a lot of fun together.
Even though it has been a long tiring week, it has been a blessing to spend time with the cooks and continue to build a relationship with them.

Chelsea helping to cut up potatoes for the salad.

Rebekah came along today to watch


My first job today was to help squish the plantain to make "banan pese"

The head cook, Madame Dodo, talking with 2 men who helped to serve the food.

Ladies doing the final preparations for the salad and sauce.

The people patiently waiting for their food.

Plating the fried chicken.  My hands were super greasy when I was done this job.

Everyday this was our job.  Using a large plate we scooped the rice and beans into the containers for each table.
Chelsea and Bri having fun washing the dishes

No comments: